Affiliated SJ. Yikes.

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
Well I have had my first taste of affiliated SJ. And I am left feeling a funny mix of emotions: angry, anxious, mainly just a bit letdown. It's kind of like that thing where you want to be a member of a club for so long then when you finally get there you decide you don't really like it after all!

The main problem was that it was dangerous. And needlessly so. The warm up rings were a complete free for all. On the first day I saw 3 serious accidents in the warm up arena. 2 broken legs, 1 broken arm. And risks like that seem unacceptable to me.

The 2nd issue was the appalling behaviour of many of the horses - which of course is what made it so dangerous. Horses were bucking, rearing, bronccing, running backwards, spooking sideways. Then going in and jumping clear. It seems that as long as the horse does the job in the ring no-one really cares if it is a lunatic in the warm up arena. People were totally relaxed about it. I would be mortified if my horse behaved like that and went cannoning into people! One of the broken legs was a boy on the ground putting up jumps for a rider who was run over by a horse. But there seemed almost a machismo about riding barely controllable horses. I was literally the ONLY person wearing a body protector too.

Then there was no management of the arenas. There was no limit to how many could be in there. There were 2 competition rings: 1 starting at 80 and the other at 1.05cm and there were 2 warm up arenas - one for each ring in theory. But people just warmed up in either arena so the warm up fences in BOTH arenas were well over a metre when half the people were trying to warm up for an 80cm class. People came out after competing and then used the warm up area for a schooling session. Others were using it despite not even being entered into the competition just to give the horses exposure. So it was extremely crowded and people cut each other up all the time.

I warmed up in the lorry park initially as it was a safer place to be!!

On a more positive note, Amber was fantastic. She had horses flying past her both sides in canter, one fly bucked and missed us by inches. And through it all she kept her head and although she was stressed and tense she did nothing wrong. I was so proud of her. She jumped the 80cm clear round clear then had 8 faults in the open 80 on day 1, 4 faults on day 2 in the clear round and then eliminated in the open 80 for 2 stops. Though the final stop was the last fence. She was tired, stressed and had started napping by then so it was a shame to have ended our show on that note but hey ho. I don't blame her. By then I wanted to go home too! Overall she did very well in very difficult circumstances.

I've been told it's often like that and I'll get used to it! But I disagree. I will ALWAYS hate that kind of edge of control riding. Apparently some venues have BS stewards and do control numbers and behaviour better so I will be highly selective in future about where I go. Or maybe I'll just stick to eventing!!

Oh dear sounds a bit of a nightmare. We have 2 BE horses on the yard - I presume the warm up isn't as bad for the BE SJ because there's no way their owners would risk having their horses kicked or even just upset by such mayhem, they'd walk away first. You'd think people would be more careful with valuable animals, even if they don't care about their wellbeing over much.

Re the coming out of the arena after your round and going back in the warmup - I was taught this is a good idea so that your horse doesn't learn to anticipate finishing the course and work being over, although surely common sense should prevail and the warmup arena left for people who are actually warming up at busy times.

Congratulations on surviving your first affiliated comp though :)

I've only done 1 BE event which was much better. We had start times for all 3 phases and only the next 8 to go were allowed in the SJ collecting ring do numbers were controlled. And the fences were a sensible height and the horses much better behaved. Presumably because they have to do dressage so are generally more well schooled and obedient than the pure show jumpers?

All events to me I like that in the warm up and the bigger the event the worst it is.

I use to groom for a friend at BE and the warms ups were awful.

Like you today we had one warn up for three classes prelim to elem so you had people doing lateral work next to someone doing medium canter. The warm up is my fear place as ginger does keep kick out I wear. Red ribbon but that does not stop them and they think nothing of running through you or taking your line.

A good ring steward will have a total number allowed in the warm up but that said I’m the chairman of a large riding club and I we are careful at our events but most don’t.

Well done for going out and doing it. 80 is the most popular class So it will always be big classes

We generally find SJ warm ups so scary we walk a lot in the lorry park and only go into the warmup and jump one jump.Having an 80 class and a 105 running at the same the venue need to police use of warmups , not only for safety but for compliance of warm up jumps used.

I agree they should @eml but they didn't! It was awful. It was at Weston Lawns. That's near you isn't it? Have you ever been?

That's a ridiculous amount of broken bones :eek: and sounds very frantic.

I've been out with a friend to BSJA stuff and one of her horses sounds like most of those, he was being a git one day rearing vertical and flailing himself around and she expected me to grab almost 17hh of him to lead into the ring :eek: I not so politely refused as it was 3 weeks before my wedding :rolleyes: she acted like it was totally normal.

Hopefully you get a better experience next time and give Amber an extra carrot for being such a good girl through it all :)

Ahh the funny world of BS, I don't miss it! Been to Weston lawns and it was similar. I think some of the riders like the lunacy in the warm up especially at the lower levels. Sounds like Amber was really good though glad you felt like you came away with a positive!

Well, I'm glad you survived! It doesn't sound like fun at all. Will you try another event, to see if this one was especially bad?

I've been out with a friend to BSJA stuff and one of her horses sounds like most of those, he was being a git one day rearing vertical and flailing himself around and she expected me to grab almost 17hh of him to lead into the ring :eek: I not so politely refused as it was 3 weeks before my wedding :rolleyes: she acted like it was totally normal.

That;s what made me feel so cross actually! As if 17hh of rearing horse is funny. There is a wanted ad I've seen saying they want a sane showjumping horse ("if they exist") because at her age she "no longer really wants to be on the spinning lunatic who is clearing the collecting ring". Well why is that ok at ANY age. It's just sh1t horsemanship as far as I am concerned and if I was running a venue I would not allow out of control horses to warm up. They would be told to leave and to come back when they have been schooled a bit more!!

Reactions: Jessey
Well, I'm glad you survived! It doesn't sound like fun at all. Will you try another event, to see if this one was especially bad?

I was meant to be competing again tomorrow but Amber has been completely unrideable over jumps since Weston Lawns :(:(. Not enthusiastic yeehaa rushing like she used to do but eyes closed, get it over with kind of rushing. Even over poles on the ground. So I think we need to rebuild her confidence slowly till she recovers.

@KP nut sounds like the whole atmosphere of the show was possibly all a bit much too soon. I'd agree it sounds like she's rushing from anxiety and she needs slowly confidence building again.

We had jumped a few unaffiliated shows and she was great. So it was a shock to the system tp be plunged into that mayhem!! We live and learn. But I have taken her back to basics and she has been much better the past couple of days. I am basically just schooling her in an arena with a set of small jumps up and every so often popping over one. By the end of Saturday's session she popped a full course of cross poles nice and calmly. So we are back on track!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Yep unaff totally different to a stayaway BS show, having done BS myself and been to Western lawns I think she did well, I don't think I would of it done it so fair play you went and gave it a go. Bringing her on is a journey and you're both learning on that journey. It sounds like you are being understanding, patient and kind so I'm sure it won't take long to get her confidence back up.

Thanks @Lissie She was by no means the most unsettled horse there! That would have been the just backed 3, rising 4 year olds being prepared for age classes! But I'm in no rush and just want her to be relaxed and confident in her work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lissie
Were the horses that were stressy youngsters? If you were doing the entry level class just after the CR you might have unsettled babies amongst you.
Lack of a steward allowing so many in wouldn't help though.
But if they were babies we've all been on something thats got a little overwhelmed and not all four legs are on the floor. It might have been their first time away at a competition.

Yes there were some youngsters there but there were also some more experienced horses who still didn't know how to behave. Personally I would not take a youngster to a busy stay away show anyway. I feel bad enough having taken Amber when clearly it was overwhelming for her. But pros getting young horses ready for sale or age classes are working under different priorities I guess. And lots of people clearly just don't mind their horses behaving like that. It's not for me though. I prefer things more calm and controlled wherever possible.

newrider.com