Advice very welcome, horse diagnosed laminitis,Update 13Jul saddest possible news

GingerRuby

Apr 14, 2008
Edinburgh
First of all, I know you lot are all very kind and non judgemental so would appreciate some honest advice from you knowledgeable people but am feeling a little fragile so be gentle. Sorry, this is going to be long.

Background, Harvey is a 17 year old IDxtb, I have owned him for 5 years, he has been retired for the best part of the last 4 years due to hock spavins in both hind legs. He also has a shiver but this does not seem to be degenerating and causes him no real bother.

He is not straightforward to manage, the spavins I can manage on devils claw through the summer and half a bute a day through winter which he seems to be sound on. He can be very stressy, he can be very difficult to leave alone in the field, even though there are horses in fields either side of him, he can get very stressed, calling and trotting back and forth, he used to jump out of fields when this happenned when I first got him but his gammy back legs have at least put pay to that, although he did come through a gate during the winter. It seems like he has his 'herd' so the horses in his field and the two who he used to be in a field with, and no other horses will do as company if that makes sense? So the horse who lives in the stable next door to his, if he is in, Harvey will still stress, call and box walk, as his neighbour is not one of his herd, but if I bring Bob into his stable opposite, he calms right down, as Bob is one of 'his'.

I also have to manage his weight as he is to be kept 'lean' to keep the weight of his arthritic legs. He is out 24/7 on a fairly small paddock with short grass just now, I can feel ribs, and weigh tape him weekly.

Yesterday, checked him in the morning, all fine, about 7.30, as both his field mates were going to a show, moved him to a paddock with longer grass, but this grass is not lush, as he tends to get far less stressy if he has something to eat. I have used this approach with him before with no ill effects, no weight gain etc as is just for the time he is alone, so matter of hours.

Got back yesterday, went to move him back about 3.30 pm and he was on 3 legs, holding one front leg up. As was such sudden onset, assumed abscess, called vet out, walked him slowly into stable. Vet came about 45 mins later, by this time he was resting a back leg. Diagnosis - laminitis. Pulses in all 4 legs, worse in front leg he was holding up. Gutted does not even start to describe it, thank God my very lovely friend Sarah had stayed with me or I would have been in even worse state.

He is on bute, has front shoes pulled off (he has very flat front feet so even tho retired he is kept shod, tried taking shoes off but he was in lots of pain), has thick foam pads gaffer taped to both front feet, deep bed, soaked hay, at least 4 weeks box rest. Vet back out on Friday unless I feel I need vet before that.

Vet said he could have done with losing few kilos but did comment I had done well to keep him at that weight given he was retired, so thinks underlying cause likely to be EMS.

As he is so stressy, kept Bob in with him last night and swapped for another member of his herd for the day (very kindly said I could 'borrow' him and put in in my stable opposite). Bob will need to come back in at 6 pm tonight when other horse goes out to be ridden.

My dilemna is what to do for the best for him. I have a few concerns, 1. he hates box rest at best of times, he was not very happy this morning, will go back up at lunchtime and check. 2. will need constant companion for the box rest, so minimum of 4 weeks of either keeping Bob in 24/7 or relying on kindness of others to borrow his other herd members. 3. long term management, is it fair to put him through all this, and then have the concern of paddocks with little / no grass whilst making sure he has the correct company, as if left alone, will just stress.

Not to mention trying to obtain hay to keep him in soaked hay, plus his companion, for a month.

This is all a bit fresh in my head, lovely vet who came out yesterday said I could call her for advice, so think will see how he copes today and the call her tomorrow to have sensible talk about long term prognosis and what is best. Am not wanting him to go through 4 weeks of box rest if is not going to manageable, or fair to him, long term, and would it be kinder to let him go whilst sun is shining on his back?

Sorry for this being so long, all wise words gratefully accepted.

Last edited:
This doesn't sound like Laminitis to me, especially if he is resting a back leg. Generally you get the classic pose, front feet sticking out, hind feet forward under body, like they want to sit down on something, another one is laying down and eating at the same time. They also tend to go very quiet.

Have a look at other possible diagnosis.

Thank you for your response Tina, do you have any thoughts on what else it may be?

I am with the vet schol vets and the vet who came out is one of the vets from the equine hospital, so I trust that I had an expert come see him but no-one is infallible!

I think the problem is that he seems to have inflammation in all 4 feet, so think if was just front ones, would maybe see classic laminitis stance, but before pain killers was shifting weight around all legs, so looks like definitely pain in all 4 feet.

Thanks again for your response Tina.

I am so sorry for you - and sending lots of kind thoughts. I know very little about lammi - I had a "scare" with Storm a couple of weeks back. Really hope he improves soon. Txxxxx

I would be inclined to suggest it is an access, but put him on the emergency laminitis diet anyway - it won't do Any harm as a precaution.

Pulses are going to be up due to the heat (weather) regardless of laminitis - not a great indicator in this weather.

This doesn't sound like Laminitis to me, especially if he is resting a back leg. Generally you get the classic pose, front feet sticking out, hind feet forward under body, like they want to sit down on something, another one is laying down and eating at the same time. They also tend to go very quiet.

Have a look at other possible diagnosis.

my first thought when I read it, in our History of Lammi never had so much pain in front that they would even consider resting a leg at the hind.

Abcess would present hi-pulse and come on without warning, as PFB has said the weather we have at the moment is so hot - pulses could be increased due to that - was he sweating at all, not just due to heat but due to pain, any thickness in neck or muscle - I tend not to challenge any Vets diagnosis unless I have first hand sight of it, but then they can get it wrong, many do shout Lammi at anything that presents, but on a caucious note - a lot of us have been there and they can be fine and within hours down.

Was he holding the one foot or paddling the ground , tryin to relieve pain off one onto the other.

Treating as for lammi won't harm either way, the only thing I would worry about is the ammount of pain that an abcess incurrs if the horse is of a stressy nature the box rest may not be the best thing and could induce lammi if not already present.

We had Josh PTS at 17 for this very reason, we were not prepared to put him through a long period of box rest and the Vet agreed - his previous period of box rest nearly killed him due to the stress - colic.

healing vibes from us - keep strong - whatever you decide long term you will for the right reasons.

Last edited:
I don't have any experience of lammi, so I can't help. But couldn't stop by and not reply.

Big hugs, and whatever you decide to do will be the right thing.

Sorry to hear of your problem :(

It does scream to me an abcess, but I am only going on reading from a computer screen Im sure your vets know alot better. Ditto others theres no harm in treating for laminitus either but I would be checking the feet for abcess's to. I suspose you cant poultice if he has pads on to see if anything comes out? Keep a close eye on the hooves for signs of any bursts or gunk to.

What a worry :frown:

Very worrying, poor old chap. When Solly (who had similar health issues to Harvey) developed an abscess he presented much as you describe. I was convinced he had lammi. But my vet said no, it was just so painful for him with all his other issues that he was finding it difficult using just 3 legs and was giving the appearance of problems in all four.

As soon as the abscess erupted he became sound again, well as sound as he would ever be by then.

Also in the few days prior to the decision to PTS, Solly again looked as though it could possibly be lammi, but it wasnt, merely a further rapid decline in his pain threshold and mobility. But I am not suggesting that this might be the case with your chap, just putting it forward as my similar experience.

Very, very difficult decision for you, especially with his problems with separation and being box rested. Only you can make that decision, but I am another great believer in rather a day too soon than a day too late. Solly actually struggled more in the heat than the cold winters, and as it was May time I knew the summer just wasnt going to be pleasant for him regardless.

I really sympathise and hope you can find a decision that you are comfortable with, either way you will have done your best for him. Its all any of us can do when they get old isnt it?

I am so sorry for you - and sending lots of kind thoughts. I know very little about lammi - I had a "scare" with Storm a couple of weeks back. Really hope he improves soon. Txxxxx

Thank you so much Trewsers, very kind of you, I know nothing about laminitis and am trying to take crash course.

I would be inclined to suggest it is an access, but put him on the emergency laminitis diet anyway - it won't do Any harm as a precaution.

Pulses are going to be up due to the heat (weather) regardless of laminitis - not a great indicator in this weather.

Thank you PFB, excellent point about heat and pulses, he did have two legs that were markedly stronger than the other 2, but we are not used to heat in Scotland so who knows!

my first thought when I read it, in our History of Lammi never had so much pain in front that they would even consider resting a leg at the hind.

Abcess would present hi-pulse and come on without warning, as PFB has said the weather we have at the moment is so hot - pulses could be increased due to that - was he sweating at all, not just due to heat but due to pain, any thickness in neck or muscle - I tend not to challenge any Vets diagnosis unless I have first hand sight of it, but then they can get it wrong, many do shout Lammi at anything that presents, but on a caucious note - a lot of us have been there and they can be fine and within hours down.

Was he holding the one foot or paddling the ground , tryin to relieve pain off one onto the other.

Treating as for lammi won't harm either way, the only thing I would worry about is the ammount of pain that an abcess incurrs if the horse is of a stressy nature the box rest may not be the best thing and could induce lammi if not already present.

We had Josh PTS at 17 for this very reason, we were not prepared to put him through a long period of box rest and the Vet agreed - his previous period of box rest nearly killed him due to the stress - colic.

healing vibes from us - keep strong - whatever you decide long term you will for the right reasons.

Thank you so much for replying Lemme, he wasn't sweating at all, although clearly warm but was out in sun in fly rug so no surprise there!

Thank you also for your point about what is in front of the vet, my descriptive powers are not brilliant so I don't want anyone to think I am dismissing their input and experience, which is all very gratefully received. I was convinced was an abscess, he had one before and had front leg held up like this time, was sudden onset, all the classic signs, but with abscess before, could not put any weight on this leg until pressure released, but this time, once he had stood in his stable for a bit, he was shifting weight around all 4 legs, hence resting back leg when vet arrived, so does look to me like he is sore in all 4 feet. Also vet did use hoof testers to try to find abscess and couldn't find anything (also said was good as suggested no rotation etc as not sore on soles of feet).

Thank you also for sharing your experience with Josh, that is my biggest fear at the moment. He had a calm first night but was stresing last night, even tho he had Bob in with him for company, can always tell, as usually very clean boy, poos in one corner etc but if has been box walking, poos kicked all through bed.

Thanks again Lemme

I don't have any experience of lammi, so I can't help. But couldn't stop by and not reply.

^^^This!

I know how helpless and stressed you feel when they aren't well. I hope he makes a good recovery.

Thank you Laura, that is greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear of your problem :(

It does scream to me an abcess, but I am only going on reading from a computer screen Im sure your vets know alot better. Ditto others theres no harm in treating for laminitus either but I would be checking the feet for abcess's to. I suspose you cant poultice if he has pads on to see if anything comes out? Keep a close eye on the hooves for signs of any bursts or gunk to.

What a worry :frown:

Thank you Gimp (not a sentence I am used to writing :unsure:). You are correct, I can't poultice as has pads, but one of them had come off last night, so checked his hoof before taping back on, could see no sign of pus, but I will keep an eye on coronet bands etc.

Thanks also for advice about treatment, he is in on a deep bed with soaked hay, plus bute, so I hope he is comfy.

Ditto! Sending lots of healing vibes.

Thank you Nancy, all healing vibes very gratefully received :smile:

Very worrying, poor old chap. When Solly (who had similar health issues to Harvey) developed an abscess he presented much as you describe. I was convinced he had lammi. But my vet said no, it was just so painful for him with all his other issues that he was finding it difficult using just 3 legs and was giving the appearance of problems in all four.

As soon as the abscess erupted he became sound again, well as sound as he would ever be by then.

Also in the few days prior to the decision to PTS, Solly again looked as though it could possibly be lammi, but it wasnt, merely a further rapid decline in his pain threshold and mobility. But I am not suggesting that this might be the case with your chap, just putting it forward as my similar experience.

Very, very difficult decision for you, especially with his problems with separation and being box rested. Only you can make that decision, but I am another great believer in rather a day too soon than a day too late. Solly actually struggled more in the heat than the cold winters, and as it was May time I knew the summer just wasnt going to be pleasant for him regardless.

I really sympathise and hope you can find a decision that you are comfortable with, either way you will have done your best for him. Its all any of us can do when they get old isnt it?

Thank you so much for your wise words Contrasna, your last sentence hit home, that is what I really want to do for him, do the right thing by him. Someone said something to me yesterday about 'keeping him going' and I really hope that is not something I am doing for my sake rather than his.

Thank you also for telling me about Solly's experience, it is so difficult, he seemed really clicky last night, so am now worrying the standing in is going to go for his arthritic hocks, so solve one problem and make another one worse.

Vet scheduled to come out Friday but have asked the vet to call me back today so can have more detailed chat, maybe get him out tomorrow and have a think about best thing to be done.

Thanks again Contrasna and everyone, you have all really helped, so lovely to have people who understand!

^^^This!

I know how helpless and stressed you feel when they aren't well. I hope he makes a good recovery.

Thank you Rubic, you just feel so useless don't you, that you can't wave a magic wand and they're fixed. I really hope Rubic comes good, those latest photos looked fab, fingers crossed she's home this weekend.

I almost feel like I have been spoiling for a fight, so almost wanting someone to say something horrible to me, and couldn't work out what on the earth was going on (as usually very timid and avoid confrontation) and then wondered if my thinking was I could have a go at someone (this imaginary someone who made a comment!) so I could take out my frustration and upset at the situation out on them, as there is no-one to blame. Does that make any sense or am I just mental:unsure:??

Thank you Rubic, you just feel so useless don't you, that you can't wave a magic wand and they're fixed. I really hope Rubic comes good, those latest photos looked fab, fingers crossed she's home this weekend.

I almost feel like I have been spoiling for a fight, so almost wanting someone to say something horrible to me, and couldn't work out what on the earth was going on (as usually very timid and avoid confrontation) and then wondered if my thinking was I could have a go at someone (this imaginary someone who made a comment!) so I could take out my frustration and upset at the situation out on them, as there is no-one to blame. Does that make any sense or am I just mental:unsure:??

Thanks!

I think you need to do something to release the stress to be honest. I'm struggling just now because my stress relief is usually riding and right now I can't do that! It is driving me mad. I've yet to find something that distracts me enough will let you know if I find something effective though! You definitely aren't going mad!

I almost feel like I have been spoiling for a fight, so almost wanting someone to say something horrible to me, and couldn't work out what on the earth was going on (as usually very timid and avoid confrontation) and then wondered if my thinking was I could have a go at someone (this imaginary someone who made a comment!) so I could take out my frustration and upset at the situation out on them, as there is no-one to blame. Does that make any sense or am I just mental:unsure:??[/QUOTE]

Pretty standard behaviour for any helpless horse owner in your situation - keep strong - keep the updates coming , thinking of you.

Nothing to add in terms of advice but just wanted to send healing vibes to you and your boy and hope whatever it is goes as quickly as it came.

You are doing all you can do for him and whatever you decide you'll do with the best of intentions and love for him.

Have you considered a muzzle,and turning out with a bit of grass,my welsie dosn,t have lammie but piles on weight at a sniff of grass,I use a shires new comfort muzzle and it does not rub if it,s on overnite,That way he could be out with his friend and keep moving as well.You could try to learn t touch it,s really helps calm horses down,or find someone locally who does reiki for horses,I do this and have seen many horses let go of their stress issues and over time improve..good luck

newrider.com