Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

Adult Appaloosa changing colors

Discussion in 'Breeds, Colouring and Genetics' started by Aematt03, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Aematt03

Aematt03 New Member

Hello!

So I, nor anyone in my family, have never owned (what I think is) an Appaloosa. I had someone tell me he is a knabstrupper but I'm not quiet for sure about that. He is somewhere in his 20's and for the past couple of year has been a black and white leopard appy. He almost looked grey and flea bitten due to all of the little spots he had. All of his spots are now turning brown. I can see the bigger ones on his butt in mid color change and he is getting bigger brown ones towards the front. Is this common? Just curious

2. Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Ziggy Learning together!

Got any pictures? @chev is excellent on colours, if she could see him it would help

3. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

Appaloosa is a breed not a colour, you can get many breeds that show the spotted coat that is often associated with appys but they must show other specific characteristics as well to be an appy, or of known parentage or be DNA tested :)

The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties