A question for our drivers

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Blinkers, hank has always driven with them but he is much more relaxed when I lead him out with out them, he likes to look at things :) he's not worried about the cart behind him, I've put to several times only to realise I've forgotten his bridle :rolleyes:
The NYDP is going to be big and noisy so I wondered if I'd be better letting him see everything or at least having the option by practising now without blinkers? or maybe thats a terrible idea?

Will there be balloons etc flapping around. Flashing cameras. If so I would blinker. I've driven chunky once in his riding bridle. He was okay in it but it needs practice. Loggers drive in open bridle in the woods as it helps them to move and negotiate standing trees.

Personally for a big parade I'd blinker him, he's used to it and it will help block some of the distractions.

There will be giant balloons, bucket rattlers (for donations), thousands of people, roller bladers and harley davidson's coming through :eek: oh and the public wanting to stroke the neds aparently.

I think the most important factor in all this is having a plan if things go tits up, and knowing what to do in that scenario. Hopefully all will be good, but its a lot to throw at a horse. I think in all my years of driving there is only 2 I would put in that situation, One an ex commercial driver and the other Posy as I blindly threw her in that situation ( although crowds were hundreds rather then thousands) however I had a groom with me who knew the pony and we had an emergency plan as well. I frightened pony in a carriage is not a good place to be in. A tip over or bolt is not nice. Do you also have public liability insurance? Its a good thing to have in a situation like this.

As for the tack, I would stick with what your pony is most comfortable in.

Yes £20 million public liability is in place.

My foot soldier (literally as he'll be dressed as a centurion) knows Hank well, his kids were the first to ride Hank and Brad is a super sensible, hands on, get the job done sort who grew up with horses. Brad is my old boss, we worked together for years and have a very similar outlook on life :) I totally trust him to handle Hank from the head end for me.

Hank isn't phased by much, he's done the town high Street and the local shops, met harley's and loads of people and been good at shows and out hacking in groups, naturally I'm apprehensive and very aware of how bad it could turn very quickly. In my mind, if we get there on the day and he's not coping I will just withdraw, I see no shame in that. But I think he will be fine, a bit excitable at the start and probably fidgety but he'll have about 4 hours prior to the parade start to soak up the atmosphere and settle down.

All the horses are required to have sedative/calmer for the parade, they suggest sedalin, it is part of the contract of entry so that says a lot about how big and noisy it is. They have a very strict rule that once the parade begins you cannot turn back, the only exit strategy is their emergency plan.

I think I'm going to try driving him at home without and see which he's more settled with. He's just a pony that likes to look at things and he takes most things in his stride then.

Blinkers, hank has always driven with them but he is much more relaxed when I lead him out with out them, he likes to look at things :) he's not worried about the cart behind him, I've put to several times only to realise I've forgotten his bridle :rolleyes:
The NYDP is going to be big and noisy so I wondered if I'd be better letting him see everything or at least having the option by practising now without blinkers? or maybe thats a terrible idea?
To put to without a bridle is one of the little things you ought NEVER DO ever, It's one of the golden rules of driving and one of the things that make the difference between crashing and burning and ruining your pony and keeping a safe environment.

You really need to get him out into bigger and more challenging crowds a bit at a time. I would never take a horse to a big turn out for his first show, I might drive to a show, let him see it and drive home, I would not go to the RHS for a first outing. It's not just the cart you have to worry about it's numpties who do not know how to behave around driving horses..

Please, PLEASE try to stick to and follow the rules for putting to and taking out, It makes the difference between managing risks and having a really, really nasty accident.

To put to without a bridle is one of the little things you ought NEVER DO ever, It's one of the golden rules of driving and one of the things that make the difference between crashing and burning and ruining your pony and keeping a safe environment.

You really need to get him out into bigger and more challenging crowds a bit at a time. I would never take a horse to a big turn out for his first show, I might drive to a show, let him see it and drive home, I would not go to the RHS for a first outing. It's not just the cart you have to worry about it's numpties who do not know how to behave around driving horses..

Please, PLEASE try to stick to and follow the rules for putting to and taking out, It makes the difference between managing risks and having a really, really nasty accident.
I will do better :oops: I was taught its okay to bridle last if that's what the pony has been taught.
He has been to shows and out on the busy high Street with shops and people bustling on both sides and traffic all around and never batted an eye.

I will do better :oops: I was taught its okay to bridle last if that's what the pony has been taught.
He has been to shows and out on the busy high Street with shops and people bustling on both sides and traffic all around and never batted an eye.
The pony ought never have been taught this. The BDS golden rule is always put the bridle on before you put to, whether it's blinkered or not, You will have proper control.

Reactions: Ruskii and Jessey
I think the thing to remember when we take liberties is that 99/100 it will be fine. Then that one time when it dosent could be the time the poo hits the fan. I take liberties with posy as shes so good, but sometimes I have to stop and think... Nooo this isnt a good idea and back track myself. There are a few things though Id never do, and its mainly from also seeing what can happen if the fan did go. Putting to without the bridle is one of them.

Seeing a true bolting harness horse is horrendous, and very very scary. Being on one also ( and thankfully that only ever happened once in my lifetime) was death defying ! The memories however just make you stop to think twice sometimes.

Im sure your little Hank will do you so proud :D and sounds like you have a good foot solider with you to. Just keep in mind potential risks and ways to avoid them.

Wally is very knowledgeable and has picked me up on a couple of habits Id picked up over the years, she does speak good sense :D

Reactions: Ruskii and Jessey
I very much appreciate the occasional swift kick in the behind :p when you are on a yard on your own you can get carried away in lala land o_O

I've been having a very serious think about doing this, and there is certainly huge potential risk and so much that could go wrong, but I have decided that I think Hank is up to it, I have a brilliant calm but get it done foot soldier and I have a back up plan now :p we will arrive at least 4 hours early for the vetting and preparations, this should give me plenty of time to assess how Hank is coping and for him to get over the initial shock of it all, if I am not 100% happy I have 2 options, a) pull out completely and b) I am going to make the chariot add on part for the cart with shoulder straps and if I am mostly happy but not enough to put him in the shafts I will make myself the chariot and long rein him with my trusty foot soldier there to lead him.

And re his blinkers, I've concluded that he probably can't see very much as they are so big on his face and don't have any metal or plastic in them to keep them ridged and away from his eyes. I hunted for some half cups to see if that might be a good compromise but can't find any in tiny size. I've bent his out before but they don't stay for long, so I thought I might sew a little draw string to go under his chin/jaw so I can adjust it to hold them away from his eyes just a little more :) no exactly normal but that's me all round :p
_20161031_085022.JPG
This pic was from first trying the harness on when I got it, when I drive I normally stick half his forelock out either side above the blinkers but will probably plait it for the big day

Attachments

• _20161031_084954.JPG
    _20161031_084954.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Gimp
I picked up a lot of bad habits doing the commercial driving years back doing 8 hours a day on the same route doing the same things I became a bit lazy with some things - wally screams at me to always hold my whip in my hand!! I think it's sunk in from all the ear bashing !!

I picked up a lot of bad habits doing the commercial driving years back doing 8 hours a day on the same route doing the same things I became a bit lazy with some things - wally screams at me to always hold my whip in my hand!! I think it's sunk in from all the ear bashing !!
Oh god I need to take you for a few lessons with Jane, you think I am scary......why do you think I do things the way I do! Alex Hogg and Jane looking over my shoulder! :eek: :eek:

I once made a mistake in my intermediate cert exam. But because I talk through as I do things I said I had done it wrong as I did it. I was told to carry on and put the horses away. I did KNOWING I had just failed on a basic basic mistake. I had to go back and he asked me "What is the safe order to take out a pair.?" so I went thgough it and told him he said " Are you sure" OH GOD OH GOD, I have got it wrong again, So calmed down, thought then went through it again , "Yes, YES I am sure", then he said tell me one mroe time! sweat pouring off me by this time, IN the end he passed me but told me he would have failed me on that mistake had I not done the obstacle and cones and the rest of the exam so accurately.

To be fair, a silly mistake like that, in a pair could have lead to a massive cock-up

There were a couple of pictures in the local paper of posy and me at one or two of the shows we did. I didn't have my whip in my hand and it looked horrible and untidy and unprofessional. Serves me right and next time round I will learn from that lesson with the ear bashing to!

Reactions: Jessey and Ruskii
There are some drivers also on my yard now who are new, the pony was already broken so the owners thought they'd "have a go", bought second hand harness and a small 2 wheeler. Lucky for them pony is a saint, but the harness doesn't fit and they shout "Giddy up" and slap the reins on the pony's back when moving up to a trot or canter :( They were quite astonished when I drove mine around his field and saw it was all off the voice, I'm not the tidiest but I'm certainly not the worst either ! It feels weird not to be holding a whip ! (Although I have forgotten it once or twice :/)

Reactions: Gimp
newrider.com