2018 Running Club

Nope.
Going to be a walker. I already exercise enough possibly. Can't get my brain around doing more.

I’m gutted, spoke to my doc last night and have been told NO running, until my echo test has been done, waiting for that on the NHS could be months :( so I shall just have to cheer you all on from the sidelines for now.

SOrry to hear that @Kite_Rider youre not having a good time of it at all are you. I hope things improve ASAP x

I managed another couple of miles on Sunday during the blizzard, was very refreshing! I sort of let my hair washing dictate when I run, so only run every second day during the week. Last night was clean hair day so am running tonight and had pasta for my tea to provide some extra energy, I need to up my distance a bit, but not quite got the natural energy levels yet, especially in the cold, so it just helps me along a little bit. Probably all in my head but heh ho! Am aiming for a measly 25 miles run in January.

lol at the hair washing flipos mum :D I do get what you mean though! Kite Rider thats really tough going, also hope things improve xx

nothing wrong with being a walker, walking is fab for you too, Im not trying to force or encourage running on anyone but it works for me and Im getting a lot out of it, even though its real thought sometimes just getting out there

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Following they cold that bedded me for 4 days, my chest finally felt clear enough to recommence exercise today. I just did 4k of brisk walking, interspersed with 3 short runs. Looking at Endomondo, my last run was back at the end of Sept, so I'm easing into it gently.... my joints will thank me for that! Now I have a baseline my challenge is to exceed it each time.

Reactions: CharliesAngel
good for you domane :)

since my bump to the head Ive been restricted - I walked a brisk 2.5K this morning, a little frustrating but need to take it slowly.

Reactions: HorseHelen
I've not hit my 25 mile target for this month, but didn't do too bad, 23.2 miles. I was lazy one night and am regretting it now. I was going to go out tonight and just get the final 2 miles out of the way, but I'm just finishing work now and cba!
Of my recent runs, I had the added embarrassment of drawing level with a bunch of ladies out for a post dinner march around the local streets, and I couldn't push hard enough to get past them for AGES. Me running, them walking. Not a good sign!
Then I decided to stretch myself and did two three milers at the weekend. Almost home on the second one and couldn't get my breath right, I've had a dodgy throat, tried to clear it, ended up heaving and threw up a bit (sorry for sharing...). It was red. Got a little fright seeing what I immediately thought was blood, and then realised was just my tomato soup lunch now all over my yellow hi viz top. Nice. Walked the last wee bit home feeling sorry for myself!
February, think I'll aim for 40 miles. See how we go!

Anyone watch 'Trust me I'm a doctor' last night? Really interesting piece about running and how they have actually scientifically proved that it doesn't harm your joints and people who run are less likely to get arthritis as a result, didn't say much about those of us who already have it though. The other interesting thing they mentioned was that running, while the impact is of course greater than walking the impact time is specifically much less than walking and overall walking is actually far more of a strain on your knees/hips etc. I just found it fascinating.

I've not hit my 25 mile target for this month, but didn't do too bad, 23.2 miles. I was lazy one night and am regretting it now. I was going to go out tonight and just get the final 2 miles out of the way, but I'm just finishing work now and cba!
Of my recent runs, I had the added embarrassment of drawing level with a bunch of ladies out for a post dinner march around the local streets, and I couldn't push hard enough to get past them for AGES. Me running, them walking. Not a good sign!
Then I decided to stretch myself and did two three milers at the weekend. Almost home on the second one and couldn't get my breath right, I've had a dodgy throat, tried to clear it, ended up heaving and threw up a bit (sorry for sharing...). It was red. Got a little fright seeing what I immediately thought was blood, and then realised was just my tomato soup lunch now all over my yellow hi viz top. Nice. Walked the last wee bit home feeling sorry for myself!
February, think I'll aim for 40 miles. See how we go!

Well done Mrs and it doesn't matter how fast you run, you're still running, sorry about you making yourself sick, must have been quite a fright seeing red :eek::eek: glad it turned out to be your soup and nothing sinister, obviously not glad that you sicked up in the first place or that you got it on your HiViz. :(

This week so far I have clocked up 10.5km on the treadmill doing 5mins jogging at 9 to 9.4kph then 3mins walking at 6kph then running again. This has been over three sessions :)

Another session tomorrow then I am riding and doing other stuff over the weekend :)

i managed 5k this afternoon, hubby ran with me and he is so frustratingly good. He hasnt run for almost a year and yet he cruised along and was having to go so slowly for me. I walked a few times, took it really easy and my time was awful (45mins) but so glad to have made a step back towards getting back on track :)

Reactions: HorseHelen
I said I would start again in February but so far I haven't. It's still rather muddy for my off road running route. I'm thinking now I have moved the sheep I might go after checking them. They are in a field in town so I could do a street run and wouldn't get muddy.

I watched that documentary on running @Kite_Rider thanks mrs! So nice to hear someone not berating the running thing for a change!
@CharliesAngel well done mrs! Although your comment re your hubby is exactly why running is a solitary sport for me lol! Theres a good hilly housing estate opposite my flat and I was going up and down the roads in a bit of a circuit the other night and got lapped three times by this wifey who just seemed to power up those hills. She spoke to me the third time and commended me on my effort. Fat girl running lol! And 45 minutes is a decent start for a 5k! It’s what I’m running at just now hehe. I’m slow, but at least we’re out there giving it a go ev!

Reactions: CharliesAngel
i should have had a rest day but my running group meet on Monday morning and I managed 5k with them so feeling good :)

I did start running, but struggled with pain in my feet - so swapped to rowing a few weeks ago (we have a rowing machine at home) & power walking where I can.

I've rowed 7k since Friday though, so beginning to find my feet, so to speak!

Well done everyone who is walking or running though :)

I managed a second walk/run on Friday. Then today Gracie and I did a brisk 5k long-line around the block. Mostly fast walking but I did run a couple of times to get her to trot....but it's not very comfy in wellies!!!

I managed my 15 minute target today. Well actually it was just over 17 as I didnt hear my app say the time was up as I was running down a busy road. I did 1.6 miles.
I wasn't going to run as I either pulled a muscle or jarred something in my hip this morning. Its been paining me all day but I hoped the slow jog my help ease it. Hope it doesn't make it worse. I'm so fed up with making excuses for why I can't run. I just wanted to get out and do something.

newrider.com