2017 Hacking/ Riding Challenge.... Add your photos too

The weather is starting to be so much nicer and cooler.
NO big rush to play really really early before the sun gets hot.
Yesterday It was nice TO BE IN THE SUN!!

Sonny unmounted 50.00hrs
Mounted 60.50hrs

Andi unmounted 1.75hr

It was kind of a 2 part play since Marueen with Penny came over
a little bit later.

I had gotten a bunch of clearance small beach umbrellas at
Christmas tree shop the day before so that was todays play.
It was fun it got a little breezy so they did blow about a bit
which actually was perfect.

I was glad that it was not really windy to be chasing them about the yard!

Levi was totally not bothered hes a lot like Sonny in that
respect ya umbrellas who cares!!
Toni did not end up riding yet.

When Maureen came over we did a bit more rideabout
the property after playing with the umbrellas

Its so much more fun to play with the cavaletti around the trees and on the side yard when someone else is playing too

We also did a bit more introduction of Penny to the goats.
She still wont get so close. It was cute when Sonny went
nose to nose with little Jefferson lol the looks Penny gave~!
But this time when they jumped and ran off she just stood and
watched but she wont get close yet.

Cant wait for next weekes play day

I want to try to get a Halloween blow up archway set up
between the 2 round pens to create a bit of a chute.

Sadly only about 3 more weeks play with Maueen and Penny
before she moves her to the house they are buying .

Reactions: Trewsers
Filmed interdressage yesterday

I wish that "solo shot" I pre ordered over a year ago would
get shipped soon :(:mad:

June message was oh they were ready to start shipping end of
June then came message ugh A FEW MORE SNAGS!

It BETTER be worth the wait.
Being alone so much it will be perfect to put on the little tag
sit the camera in the center of the ring and have it follow
me around.

Now that I have a little ring I really want to get into doing
interdressage!;)

I wish that "solo shot" I pre ordered over a year ago would
get shipped soon :(:mad:

June message was oh they were ready to start shipping end of
June then came message ugh A FEW MORE SNAGS!

It BETTER be worth the wait.
Being alone so much it will be perfect to put on the little tag
sit the camera in the center of the ring and have it follow
me around.

Now that I have a little ring I really want to get into doing
interdressage!;)

You can film interdressage on your own with any camera I think. Just put it at c so you can see the whole arena and record from there :)

Saturday was a mentoring day for me again. C (who is 16) comes to the yard with her grandmother who has a retired horse there - she can ride but has only done lessons and virtually no hacking. She was given the chance to borrow another livery's horse who was away on holiday. There was nobody else about so I if I didn't take her out she couldn't ride. We had a nice little hack around. She hadn't cantered outside a school before so I took her to a nice local bridlepath which is nice and wide, uphill and gated both ends and we had a bit of fun (I will point out that I had checked this was ok with her guardian, and I know the pony she was riding). Anyway - she came back with a smile on her face :)

Sunday was a local fun ride that I have long wanted to go to. When Harvey threw a shoe on Friday I thought I was going to miss it again, but fortunately the farrier came to my rescue. O and E came with me. It was a nice ride with a few jumps and several open fields to canter across. Just over half way there was a refreshment stop with squash and biscuits which were very welcome. The downside of this was that we then set off in a bit of a herd (about 15 riders). Harvey was in front which was fine. After a nice ride through the woods we were going downhill through a boggy patch when Harvey decided without warning that having a roll would be a good idea. I manged to step off and gave him a whack before he actually rolled. After I had remounted we were at the back of the group which Harvey decided was a bad thing and spent the next 30 minutes generally having a strop (there was no room to pass, and anyway he needs to learn some manners!). I had a chat with O and E and agreed that I would leave them as we weren't far from the finish. When the front 3 riders of the group decided to have a canter I went with them and we cantered and galloped the rest of the way back.

Monday was a bank holiday in the UK so extra riding! As it was very hot Harvey and I just had a quite amble round (with a quick canter on the way of course)

With O and E at the refreshment stop :)
i-RhfxC34-XL.jpg

Hacking
5 hours
18 miles

Totals
Hacking
290.4 miles
86 hours 50

Schooling
21 hours 25

Saturday was a mentoring day for me again. C (who is 16) comes to the yard with her grandmother who has a retired horse there - she can ride but has only done lessons and virtually no hacking. She was given the chance to borrow another livery's horse who was away on holiday. There was nobody else about so I if I didn't take her out she couldn't ride. We had a nice little hack around. She hadn't cantered outside a school before so I took her to a nice local bridlepath which is nice and wide, uphill and gated both ends and we had a bit of fun (I will point out that I had checked this was ok with her guardian, and I know the pony she was riding). Anyway - she came back with a smile on her face :)

Sunday was a local fun ride that I have long wanted to go to. When Harvey threw a shoe on Friday I thought I was going to miss it again, but fortunately the farrier came to my rescue. O and E came with me. It was a nice ride with a few jumps and several open fields to canter across. Just over half way there was a refreshment stop with squash and biscuits which were very welcome. The downside of this was that we then set off in a bit of a herd (about 15 riders). Harvey was in front which was fine. After a nice ride through the woods we were going downhill through a boggy patch when Harvey decided without warning that having a roll would be a good idea. I manged to step off and gave him a whack before he actually rolled. After I had remounted we were at the back of the group which Harvey decided was a bad thing and spent the next 30 minutes generally having a strop (there was no room to pass, and anyway he needs to learn some manners!). I had a chat with O and E and agreed that I would leave them as we weren't far from the finish. When the front 3 riders of the group decided to have a canter I went with them and we cantered and galloped the rest of the way back.

Monday was a bank holiday in the UK so extra riding! As it was very hot Harvey and I just had a quite amble round (with a quick canter on the way of course)

With O and E at the refreshment stop :)
i-RhfxC34-XL.jpg

Hacking
5 hours
18 miles

Totals
Hacking
290.4 miles
86 hours 50

Schooling
21 hours 25

Cheeky Harvey trying for a roll!!!!

I did cross country again today :D :D

Yesterday I schooled for around 40 mins, nothing too demanding as was still very warm so just lots of transitions and turns/circles etc. He did some lovely work so was very pleased.

Then today a girl on his yard offered to take us to woolgars in west horsley. It was amazing!! 8 miles of tracks with lots of jumps around, and lots and lots of deer.

It was raining so we kept them very steady and to be honest rode alot of the inbetween in walk just popping into canter over the jumps. My share was an absolute star, I'd say some of the jumps were in the 2ft3 - 6 size which for me is very big!! But he popped over everything so nicely. And some nice little logs which are my favourite! I got left behind over one jump but otherwise think I did okay and considering this is hugely out of my comfort zone I enjoyed it a great deal!!. He was pulling like a tank to start with as we were following the other horse over everything. So we backed off a little and I sat up and was pleased to get a more rhythmic canter where I felt I had control. I even did the tiniest little drop into the water there, in walk haha but brave for me. Couldn't fault him he really looked after me and was loving it, he would of cantered the whole way round had I let him.

Just a really great afternoon :)

65hours 50mins

Do you remember when you wanted a horse and you imagined what it would be like and what you would do? Well I had a weekend like that :)

On Saturday I turned up to find Harvey having a lie down in his stable (but upright rather than splatt). I decided to see if he would let me go in with him, so I crept in with a bag of sliced apples. he was very happy to lie there and be fed for 15 minutes, so that was a fun start. In the afternoon we had a nice hack around and I decided that it I would have a try at mounted gate opening. It started well when I opened the first gate. He then decided he wanted to go though but sadly didn't leave room for me. I didn't want to haul him to a halt as the lesson was about going through gates so I ended up being rammed into the gate post and now have a fairly spectacular lump/graze on my shin :(. Still - not to be put off we managed 2 further gates so a big success.

One of our liveries is emigrating and she was clearing out her things. She asked if anyone wanted a big girth, but as her horse is only about 14hh I was a bit doubtful. It turned out though to be 52" which is perfect for Harvey so now I have a nice Stubben leather girth :).

Sunday was the Broughton Castle Fun Ride. I went with E and O and we had a great time. The course was 10 miles with a XC course to play on 1/2 way. There were lots of canters across open fields and hardly any other riders to watch out for. There were a few road crossings but all had marshalls. The XC course was a bit big for us, but we had a paddle in the water, did a 60cm step up and one or two of the smallest fences.

After finishing there was time for a bacon batch which Harvey wanted to share (no chance). When we got back home there was no stable to do because I had brought Harvey in from the field and put him straight on the lorry (well after a groom and breakfast!)

Breakfast in bed
i-BFM896F-XL.jpg

This is already in the public domain so I can post it here.
Cantering up to the finish
i-f6v7fNL-XL.jpg

Hacking
6 hours
18 miles

Totals
Hacking
318.4 miles
92 hours 50

Schooling
21 hours 25

Do you remember when you wanted a horse and you imagined what it would be like and what you would do? Well I had a weekend like that :)

On Saturday I turned up to find Harvey having a lie down in his stable (but upright rather than splatt). I decided to see if he would let me go in with him, so I crept in with a bag of sliced apples. he was very happy to lie there and be fed for 15 minutes, so that was a fun start. In the afternoon we had a nice hack around and I decided that it I would have a try at mounted gate opening. It started well when I opened the first gate. He then decided he wanted to go though but sadly didn't leave room for me. I didn't want to haul him to a halt as the lesson was about going through gates so I ended up being rammed into the gate post and now have a fairly spectacular lump/graze on my shin :(. Still - not to be put off we managed 2 further gates so a big success.

One of our liveries is emigrating and she was clearing out her things. She asked if anyone wanted a big girth, but as her horse is only about 14hh I was a bit doubtful. It turned out though to be 52" which is perfect for Harvey so now I have a nice Stubben leather girth :).

Sunday was the Broughton Castle Fun Ride. I went with E and O and we had a great time. The course was 10 miles with a XC course to play on 1/2 way. There were lots of canters across open fields and hardly any other riders to watch out for. There were a few road crossings but all had marshalls. The XC course was a bit big for us, but we had a paddle in the water, did a 60cm step up and one or two of the smallest fences.

After finishing there was time for a bacon batch which Harvey wanted to share (no chance). When we got back home there was no stable to do because I had brought Harvey in from the field and put him straight on the lorry (well after a groom and breakfast!)

Breakfast in bed
i-BFM896F-XL.jpg

This is already in the public domain so I can post it here.
Cantering up to the finish
i-f6v7fNL-XL.jpg

Hacking
6 hours
18 miles

Totals
Hacking
318.4 miles
92 hours 50

Schooling
21 hours 25

Aw love the pic in the stable:D
The other one is good too! Sounds like a grand weekend.:)

Reactions: GaryB
Another great horse week!

Sunday I went for a nice hack, ground was perfect so lots of short but sweet canters. Someone had dumped a car on the bridleway so that took some navigating around, I'm glad I did a little drop at the xc on Wed as we had to lead my friend down one to get past and I knew to give him his head!!

And then yesterday I had my first lesson in over a year :O it was absolutely brilliant, within about 10 mins my share was going beautifully. Still lots to practise but another lesson booked for 2 weeks time :D

And on Sunday I'm off to a show which I'm very much looking forward to. Lots of cleaning to do on Sat night :)

68 hours

Play day sunday should be good weather!!
Woo hoo HOW COOL IS THIS!!!:);):D
Virginia is revamping her pond trail. It was not a horse trail
but it will be now!!:):):)
She had to re place the bridge so she made it horse safe
and is widening the trail.
.The bridge is set but she wants to do more on the trail itself
Sunny would be fine as it is so I will ride in in the next couple of days!!!
IMG_9104.JPG

IMG_9105.JPG

IMG_9106.JPG

IMG_9109.JPG

AWESOME !!!!!!! I LOVE BRIDGES!!:D:D:D:D;););):):):)

Sonny unmounted 50.30hrs
Mounted 62.50hrs

Andi unmounted 1.75hr

Fun play yesterday just Toni and Me
We played later in the afternoon
It was soooooooooo nice not to have to play at the crack of dawn.
It was not too hot at all in the afternoon it was quite nice.

Toni thinks she will get on Levi next week over here
We did some ring play and lots of cavaletti kind of going roundabout over them in one continuous walkabout.
Levi did great even with the spot where 2 intersect at
right angles and he had to make a sharp turn to
the second set!!

OHHHH when we frirst went over I had no idea the turkeys were in the tall grass just off the rings end,
We walked in and the turkeys not the horses spooked a bit
and one flew up and right over the garage roof.
I will have to watch for that since they are all around the property
several times a day now.
But it was actually good as an unplanned obstacle cause they are all around now so you never know where when riding the trails or Virginias property or here where they will turn up.

We did a lot of work up in the top of the grassy field and had fun circling trees up there
It was fun play.

IMG_9442.JPG

IMG_9436.JPG

IMG_9438.JPG

IMG_9435.JPG

IMG_9430.JPG

IMG_9417.JPG

IMG_9399.JPG

I haven't posted for a couple of weeks, but here's what we've been up to!

On 27th August I had a lovely long solo hack - I can't remember all that much about it apart from we had a brilliant long canter on the grass! :)

On 3rd September I spent 45 minutes in the school as the weather was pretty atrocious so I was a bit hesitant to travel too far in case we got soaked (haven't got any waterproof jodhphurs yet, will be buying some asap!). I just did some basic stuff and had a really productive schooling session.

Yesterday I did another solo hack, although my other half walked alongside (he's finally stopped being scared of horses after 6 months :rolleyes: and we went out for an hour and half. Mostly stuck to walk as my other half was with us but did have a couple of trots and a short canter. And an obligatory spook at some tape that was cordoning off what looked to be an old bonfire o_O

183.24km in 32hrs 0mins plus 9 hours 15mins schooling

Sonny unmounted 51.00hrs
Mounted 64.00hrs

Andi unmounted 1.75hr

Woo HOO I need to do this MORE often!!!

Ride in the late afternoon/evening.

Its never been me I'm up so early that I go to sleep so early too sigh.
NOT by choice its just what my stupid body wants to do!!:mad::mad:

I got a wild hair to ride late yesterday and Toni goes over
most late afrernoons.
But I was going to ride my tucker and saddle up over here
and see if I got cramp in one leg with it like I'm getting with the
fabtron.

Bummer I ask Virgina to have Toni call when she gets there and
she says Toni has a fundraiser and won't be coming today.

Geesh it was kind of like a 3 stooges comedy I was not properly set up to tack up over here. I set things I need at Virginias
but most of my stuff is in the basement tack area.

I did not have any repel x so had to get some ready tack up
no helmet out there had to go down to get one:mad:
my nice gaiters are at V so I just rode w.o them
I always carry a crop finally found one out there with a leather tied to it to hang on horm
I have some rope reins out there but they have not had extensions added cause sonny carrys his head long and low
but I made due with one.
Finally I'M ON
IT WAS SUCH A LOVELY TIME TO RIDE the shade was creeping in near the cavaletti and front side of the ring
it was a bit windy but so nice .
It was relaxing and I did a lovely rideabout playing with all the cavaletti
on both sides of the property.

Before I got saddled I put him in the cavaletti round pen for a few min - the big goats share that pen
Kinley was cute he immediately came in to see whats up with this!!!

Then Danni went in.
When the horses are here I will be able to have the big goats cross share some areas with Sonny.
Danni came up to say Hi to Sonny when I was riding.

My leg still did cramp up a bit :(:mad: and after reading up on it
I'm going to get a potassium/magnesium supplement today.

I really really need to do more late afternoon riding !!!

I have to work on changing up to more of an evening person!!!

cute Kinley
IMG_9444.JPG
Danni coming in to check Sonny out
IMG_9447.JPG
you can see how the shade is creeping up it was nice:)
IMG_9458.JPG

IMG_9467.JPG

IMG_9473.JPG

IMG_9501.JPG

IMG_9539.JPG

Today I have to get better set up over here with things I need
tack wise in the tack shed.
And start to utilize my grooming room.

Attachments

• IMG_9483.JPG
    IMG_9483.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 0
image.jpeg image.jpeg After a dreadful spell of weather Mr T finally managed a short ride yetserday. No riding in the fields here as they are just waaaay too boggy - so booted his lordship up and off they went lol not far only round the yard down the drive a few times. It was good tho as Zi hadn't been down to the main road yet and it was interesting cos we met my neighbour on pony and cart which didn't bother him plus other neighbours two cute shetties that came to say hello. What a good boy he is, he looks, but doesn't run or spin!!!! Love him. Only twenty mins in total but it's getting there!
I think Storm was laughing at them lol she doesn't look at all like she misses being ridden!!!

newrider.com