2017 Hacking/ Riding Challenge.... Add your photos too

Saturday was a low key day for Harvey and I, we had a nice gentle hack out (although I am asking him to trot more to get him a bit fitter).

Sunday started well. I have always wanted to see Harvey lie down (I don't know why!), but I never have. I know that he does because of the stable stains. Anyway I turned up at the stable on Sunday and a group of my fellow liveries were pointing at his stable and making keep quiet gestures, so I crept up and peaked over the door and there he was lying down half asleep. Very silly, but it made my day. (He is out at night, in during the day ATM).

E had found an XC course at a local(ish) livery yard that could be hired, so in the afternoon 4 of us set off to have a play. It was a bit rough and ready and for me the jumps were either a bit too small or a bit too big. Harvey was very nappy and a bit hesitant but I managed to stay on board and he eventually jumped everything I asked him too. We didn't have any refusals, just some run outs. What did surprise me was that he didn't seem to have seen tyre jumps before, so we did quite a lot of jumping over the tyres to get him used to them.

Sorry no pictures this weekend (well there are, but mostly of me desperately trying to stay on!)

Hacking
1hr 15
4.5 miles

Schooling
1 hour

Totals
Hacking
188 miles
56 hours 25

Schooling
11 hours 45

Saturday was a low key day for Harvey and I, we had a nice gentle hack out (although I am asking him to trot more to get him a bit fitter).

Sunday started well. I have always wanted to see Harvey lie down (I don't know why!), but I never have. I know that he does because of the stable stains. Anyway I turned up at the stable on Sunday and a group of my fellow liveries were pointing at his stable and making keep quiet gestures, so I crept up and peaked over the door and there he was lying down half asleep. Very silly, but it made my day. (He is out at night, in during the day ATM).

E had found an XC course at a local(ish) livery yard that could be hired, so in the afternoon 4 of us set off to have a play. It was a bit rough and ready and for me the jumps were either a bit too small or a bit too big. Harvey was very nappy and a bit hesitant but I managed to stay on board and he eventually jumped everything I asked him too. We didn't have any refusals, just some run outs. What did surprise me was that he didn't seem to have seen tyre jumps before, so we did quite a lot of jumping over the tyres to get him used to them.

Sorry no pictures this weekend (well there are, but mostly of me desperately trying to stay on!)

Hacking
1hr 15
4.5 miles

Schooling
1 hour

Totals
Hacking
188 miles
56 hours 25

Schooling
11 hours 45

Aw I love seeing them laying down. Glad you managed to see him snoozing!

Sunday and a group of my fellow liveries were pointing at his stable and making keep quiet gestures, so I crept up and peaked over the door and there he was lying down half asleep. Very silly, but it made my day. (He is out at night, in during the day ATM).

I love it.
That gave me a huge smile!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Yesterday I had a lovely solo hack on the downs, really enjoyed it. It was warm but also windy so it didn't feel too hot. The wind didn't bother my share at all either. He just plodded along quite happily! The long grass was a bit too tempting for him at times though!

Did a fair bit of trot and a little canter as well. I did struggle with my saddle yesterday - I was in a different saddle to normal which has a lower cantle at the back, and it felt horrible. I felt like I was constantly having to shuffle backwards and that my knees were going in front of the knee rests. I have used this saddle a few times and it's normally okay, although doesn't feel as comfy as his standard saddle, but it was horrible yesterday. I have a lesson coming up on Wednesday so I'll pop the normal saddle back on and speak to my RI about that saddle and what I was doing wrong. I'm not very knowledgeable about saddles so that's something i need to improve.

Total today 9.07km in 1hr20mins.

Totals 96.45km in 16hrs40mins plus 2 hours schooling.

Sonny unmounted40.50HRS
Mounted.34.75 hrs

Andi unmounted 1.25 hr

AWESOME AWESOME RIDE TODAY!!
WOOOO hooooooooo I THINK I HAVE A RIDING BUDDY WHO WANTS
TO PLAY WITH OBSTACLES YEA

Rebecca who I saw briefly last year at Virginias last year.
Came back a couple days ago with her horse.
The 3 of us rode this am the weather could not have been nicer.

I had gone to a horse club meeting last nite down the street and Irene
said we could ride her trails anytime.
So instead of going into the forest/park we went to her trails
OMG they are lovely thru the pines and pine needle footing and she woo hoo
has a bridge crossing .

I booted sonny all 4 with the easyboot gloves and so far so good
I had no wardrobe malfunctions.

Rebecca and I got along really really well because we would rather trot
on the way out not on the way back.
So Virginia wanted to know if we were ok with her trotting out - we were fine with it and both prefer to walk back. So it worked great!!!
AND WOOOOOOOOOO hooooooooooooo SHE WANTS TO PLAY WITH MY OBSTACLES!!!
THIS IS AWESOME!!
The horses all got along great. it was a lovely ride.

I rea set up my play area on the side of the house this am after my husband mowed it for me a few days ago

IMG_2811.JPG

IMG_2818.JPG

IMG_2824.JPG

IMG_2826.JPG

IMG_2833.JPG

IMG_2844.JPG

IMG_2861.JPG

IMG_2877.JPG

I got some awesome walkway solar led lights yesterday
and put some in the pots in my riding ring and some near the house

omg I love them
its hard to see them in the photo in the ring but in person
omg they looked awesome

IMG_2777.JPG

IMG_2784.JPG

I am going to get a few more to do the balance of the side line flower pots
in the riding ring!!

Well it had to happen sometime! OH rode Mr Zi in the field today and we had the first proper spook!!! OH handled it really well and it was totally genuine on Zi's part as neighbours cheeky pony popped up in the next field without warning (moves like a cat sometimes!) and it must have startled a calf in the adjacent one. I think Zi just saw something move fast out the corner of his eye and did 360 degree spin. But that was about it and no running etc andOH carried on as normal. So well done to both really!
Only a short ride, another twenty minutes in total but both enjoyed it I think:)

Oh no - another weekend without any piccies :( My OH/photographer is coming out with me next weekend so I will try and make amends then.

On Saturday my new regular riding companion S and I went out hacking, but with a difference. I have joined a group that has 20+ parking places when you can park a horsebox to go hacking. So we set off for a pub 25 miles away and had a wonderful hack around the bridleways where I used to take my share horse. I had visions of a cooling drink in the pub car park when we got back, but it wasn't to be. The car park was full and the horses aren't allowed on the grass (quite rightly as its a nice beer garden) so we had to pack up and come straight home. Saturday night was a BBQ at the yard to we had perfect weather for that.

I'm really not a morning person, and I'm not normally seen at the yard before 10, but as it was hot S and I left at 9 for a gentle hack. We went down to the local(ish) ford that we have both been meaning to go to for a while. Its a huge ford, under trees and about 75 feet across and neither horse was very keen so S jumped off and lead her horse in and Harvey then followed happily. It was a nice ride, but the flies were terrible!

Hacking
14 miles
4 hours

Totals
Hacking
202 miles
60 hours 25

Schooling
11 hours 45

I had a really great lesson on Wednesday last week. Really focused on my position and getting the most out of my share. I really love the way my RI instructs as well, I'm learning loads from her.

Yesterday as it was so hot I left it until quite late to ride, and went out with another horse at the yard who doesn't like to hack out alone. My share was a bit cheeky trying to eat everything in sight! Unusual for him so had a bit of a battle on my hands but no dramas. Just stuck to walking in the shade because of the weather. We did 8.37km in 1hr15 mins.

Totals 96.45km in 17hrs 55 plus 3 hours schooling.

skye & I have had a quiet couple of weeks but a friend boxed over to us last night and we went on a hack from my place for about 2 hours.

there is a lot of road work unfortunately but we went up over a hill with a wind farm on it and Skye was a wonderful nanny to my friend’s horse, who to be fair didnt put a foot wrong but can have his ‘moments'. the turbines can be really freaky for some of them though. She was so lovely and forward, often out in front and striding out on a lovely loose , relaxed rein. Love it :D

I haven't put anything on here in a while, but I have been coming on and reading everyone's adventures:D Marley and I have been still riding away, mostly in my fields. We rode in the field this afternoon and it was a lot cooler today, thank goodness. The ground is very hard at the moment and we were both pestered by cleggs :mad: I am covered in lumps from being bitten and poor Marley is the same, I spent most of our ride this morning swatting them away, A short video of us being pestered by cleggs :rolleyes:

Sonny unmounted41.00 hrs
Mounted.35.50 hrs

Andi unmounted 1.25 hr

Nice ride yesterday am played on the property and had great fun.There is a decent variety to play and a mix of sun and shade that works out well.

The flowers in the little ring are coming along well I'm sooooooooooooo thrilled to have real flowers.
I added another set of cavaletti in front of the blueberry and flower pots with the little solar lights. The flowers near the cavaletti on garage side of blueberry really
are popping !!

I may see if I can add flowers to the back side cavaletti or possibly the wagon wheel cavaletti.

I have a good set up of hoses running to places so I have a good system for watering so adding some more flower pots wont be
too hard to keep up.

Ugh when riding under the trees in the grassy field up the road were 2 vultures eating something - they are really gross creepy things but do
preform a service It was too far away to see what they were eating but omg when rode up there it was part of an adult deer!!
That is a bit scary where is the rest of it and how did it get killed ?????
And it was not really really old.

I know parts of it are not up in the tall grass because sonny would have let me know. Its always possible they were flying with the pcs and it dropped and that the
deer was not killed right around here.

I made some new obstacles to play with hopefully today some big hoola hoop circles in a few sizes bigger than hoola hoops I can buy at the store
They will be fun to do turn in forehand etc or trot into and stop inside them etc etc something different

I'm riding with Rebecca this am not sure what we are doing though it will be a bit warmer and more humid than yesterday not horrid but maybe we will want
to stay more in the shade.. unless it does cloud up by the time we ride tomorrow will be heavy rain so no watering needed woo hoo

I'm pleased with the new cav set I love the curved ones but some straight are nice too
IMG_3330.JPG
the flowers on these are popping nicely

IMG_3315.JPG

The ring flowers are doing well I cant wait for my sunflowers to bloomIMG_3302.JPG

IMG_3295.JPG

hmm dreams of lots of other places for flower pots!!!
Yes I'm going a bit flower crazy but for years of having to use artificial ones at the old house
cause of a constant water ban every year its just another piece of PARADISE here !!
IMG_3280.JPG
I have had to tone down some of the pinwheels etc I could leave out at the old place with the bad winds here. but OMG having real flowers is sooooooooooooooooo much better.
IMG_3310.JPG

Ugh the gross vultures

IMG_3368.JPG
I'm so happy with this ring.
IMG_3372.JPG

A snack in the middle

IMG_3387.JPG

Sonny unmounted 42.00 hrs
Mounted.37.50 hrs

Andi unmounted 1.25 hr

The ride from HELL ended on an awesome note.

It was just Rebecca and me Virginia said she had bat get in her bedroom so she got
very little sleep so she was not coming.
I'd have gotten NO sleep.

It started out good the reflection of Virginias pond was awesome

IMG_3451.JPG

Rebecca lunged libby for a few min and she was dead calm.
When she mounted a different Libby she took off a bit before she was fully in the saddle.

IMG_3454.JPG

She did a bit in the ring and then we headed out
I told her about the deer parts in the road and there could be more anywhere so we have to be
aware.

At the end of trail to the forest both Sonny and Libby have sticky feet
beyond maybe we can change your mind and just eat grass.

So we both dismounted and walked on that trail leads to everyting else so its kind of a must ride
Further on down I re mounted and all was fine TIL...............
omg SONNY NEVER SPOOKS he did a complete spin around only went one stride but
that's NOT HIM
There was nothing around but some trash bags off the edge near a stream that goes under the trail they were not there last week when we rode and stuff like that does not bother
Sonny I did not smell anything form it and got off and let him have a good look around.
I have no clue what was up with him.
We walked on to a place we could both remount drama over.

The ride back was good uneventful and we were going to play at my house and Libby goes off a bit when she mounts so she had to find much better mount spot then I would need
I always offer a carrot when I mount so Sonny stands rock solid for it.

She liked the carrot idea and had never thought of it-- we are going to work with that

Then we went to my house and she dismounted casuse she has never showed her flags etc
and I have quite a lot around
LIBBY WAS A STAR!! SHE took it in stride nicely
and she did some cavaletti and touch it with the flags and worked with the small
1/2 tire working on her putting a foot in.
She got close to putting a foot in but we will take a try for sure.

So it ended up being a super ride in the end!!!

I had not tried to side pass over my blue v poles and make the turn and keep going
WOO HOO WE DID IT!!!

Tomorrow will be horrid out but Sunday is going to be nice and humidity back down
so we have another play day!!

CAN'T WAIT

I had just remounted
IMG_3460.JPG

She followed Sonny at first these cav don't have flags

IMG_3464.JPG

She is not looking too concerned at all the flags flapping
IMG_3466.JPG

IMG_3473.JPG

IMG_3477.JPG

IMG_3482.JPG

I was thrilled to get the 2 part sidepass with the turn.
IMG_3500.JPG

IMG_3501.JPG

IMG_3503.JPG
Sonny says Libby touch it game is an easy carrot!!

IMG_3538.JPG

IMG_3545.JPG

This too Libby step in and your mom thinks its great and more carrots!!

IMG_3518.JPG

IMG_3528.JPG

Libby did great walking over cav with the flags near them

IMG_3554.JPG

Sunday will be lots of fun!!!

I will leave these flag free
Its will be a good place to start or go back to if more confidence is needed
IMG_3556.JPG

Woo hoo the rain god was good to me this am;):):D
WE are getting the remnants of the nasty storm that hit the gulf coast.
Nothing like there foot of rain but 2-3 inches and real slight tornado possibility.
They are saying the risk of that is pretty low though..

Thank god!!!

I have had a wild hair to put more flowers by some other cavaletti
So its my birthday and I went a bit plant crazy:eek::rolleyes:

Thank god for Walmart being open 24 hrs

I was there not long after daylight got some awewsome sunflower pots on clearance
and some zinnia in a pot in a fancly little holder and some pre potted pots of kind of
hanging over flowers that drape the pots -- not plants ive seen in 6 packs

and a bunch of 6 packs of red and white and pink begonia and blue ageratum and some clearance red geranium

Got home and put out the potted ones ready to go and potted up quite a bit of the other plants
before it started to rain!!!:D:D:D;);):):):)

The ones I potted up will take a bit to fill in but eventylly they will be nice and full too..

Tomorrow is supposed to be a lovely day to play.
I'm so thrilled that Libby is not upset by the flags and things
Rebecca and I seem to have a lot of the same thoughts on riding so its going to be
fun to ride and play with her.

I'm trying pots at the tree cavaletti both ways inside and outside
I may have to put flags near the outside ones to that horses are one side or the other and not on top of the pots
IMG_3594.JPG

IMG_3595.JPG

I need a couple more to finish this spot
IMG_3590.JPG

The potted sunflowers - mine will come along eventully but its awesome to have some in bloom

IMG_3599.JPG

Some of the plants I have coming on and the red white and blue I potted up this am
it wll be nice when In a few weeks they are much more full

It was kind of nice to get some that were READY TO GO
Id love to have a small greenhouse to play in!!!

IMG_3610.JPG

IMG_3611.JPG

IMG_3612.JPG

I am really looking fwd to playing tomorrow!!!!;);):):):D:D

newrider.com