2017 Hacking/ Riding Challenge.... Add your photos too

Brushed Melody and rode in walk only for 20 mins.... I only rode in the paddock but shes been on a fairly bare paddock with Summer Storm and they have both been losing weight her girth has gone up two holes.... whoop whoop might have a nice fit not fat highland pony this Summer.... we are both on the wagon.

I am trying really hard this year to ration the grass and stop them all being to fat.

Today I got caught out by the rain and got SOAKED. Forgot to check the forecast before leaving home so only have myself to blame!

Did 10.59km in 1 hour 40 mins. It was a new route with another lady at the stables who has somewhat taken me under her wing, taking me out and showing me different routes. Would've been better if we weren't soaked through when we got back!

Totals 87.38km in 15hrs 20mins plus 1hr 15 mins schooling.

Saturday I had a stressage comp, and did poorly, we really need more dressage lessons! I'm entering a series that goes from August - May so hopefully entered in comps will motivate me to actually practice and try improve! Then I took mads for a ride and left a gate open to get to the race thinking I could jsut ride through, then realised there were horses grazing in the race so we had to rush off and clsoe the gate before they noticed! Mads thought it was very exciting, and treid to canter sideways into the hedges because...logic?...but we made it! I kow I knwo, naughty me!
Sunday I took Aus to riverhead for a nice relaxing hack. We came across 30 walkers in a big group which he was quite confused about, then they started taking pictures so we walked away quickly haha!

Running total:
Aus: 267hrs
Mads: 17hrs

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, hacking/schooling has gone a bit backwards since he has been playing up so I've put it all on hold. I've got a 10 lesson block booking lined up in the next two weeks though, back to back, intensive with a mix of me and my instructor riding so hopefully I can get to the bottom of it.

We did some Parelli tonight and he surprised me by how well he did considering he's not done it in months. Proud of him. <3

Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 17.23.05.png

Another damp gloomy cold stretch of weather going on :(.

Got out in between rain yesterday and added some flags to my flower pots.
It makes it nice and cheery -fog as thick as pea soup again this am :mad::(.

I hope it clears some sun would be nice This has to be the coldest Memorial Day weekend ever.
I feel bad for beach goers that want to lay on the beach you needed to be bundled up like
winter to walk a beach its been so chilly.

IMG_1930.JPG

IMG_1927.JPG

IMG_1934.JPG

Its really well drained so the footing Is great
I just hope it clears to ride!!!

I don't mind rain for all the flowers/bushes I've planted around but we need sun or they will
start to suffer!!:(

Guess its been the rainiest May ever.

Another damp gloomy cold stretch of weather going on :(.

Got out in between rain yesterday and added some flags to my flower pots.
It makes it nice and cheery -fog as thick as pea soup again this am :mad::(.

I hope it clears some sun would be nice This has to be the coldest Memorial Day weekend ever.
I feel bad for beach goers that want to lay on the beach you needed to be bundled up like
winter to walk a beach its been so chilly

Its really well drained so the footing Is great
I just hope it clears to ride!!!

I don't mind rain for all the flowers/bushes I've planted around but we need sun or they will
start to suffer!!:(

Guess its been the rainiest May ever.

I love your dressage arena....I have one too just looking for a petrol mower to keep it neater :)

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
An exciting long weekend for me. On Saturday morning I picked up my new horsebox. Its a bit tatty, but can carry 2.9t so I can take Harvey and a big friend out. Harvey and I had a quick hack round in the afternoon.

Sunday was our first trip out. I had told E, a fellow livery that I was going and she said it sounded fun, so I invited her along. Harvey was a little sticky to load, but it didn't take too long. Both horses travelled well for the hour it took us to reach our destination - Lincomb Equestrian. For £20 per horse you can use 8 miles of offroad tracks, and the XC schooling area (which is massive). We hacked for 3 miles or so round the tracks including some nice side by side canters and then went to play on the XC. It was very hot - my original plan was to try some 60 to 70cm fences (I've only jumped about 6 solid fences with Harvey before), but I decided that it was too much in the heat for both of us. We started at about 45cm and I tried to fit in as many different obstacles as I could, so we tried steps up and down, water, sunken roads, jumps under arches and ditches We built up to a few 80cm fences in the end. Harvey was very good - I had to be firm at the first step up but he went, and he was very unsure at the ditch which was a bit like a coffin, but with running water nearly to the top. With a bit of patience he hopped over it.

You may remember that when I bought Harvey he had a thing about water. Well he walked into the water with almost no hesitation, and then stood and "played". We finished in the water by walking in and trotting out.

Monday was wet, but 3 of us had a trip round the block anyway. Pity I had left my waterproof trousers at home!

Trotting through the water - a very pleased and proud rider :)
i-tZ3bSBm-XL.jpg

Hacking
10 miles
3 hours

Schooling
1 hour

Hacking
4.5 miles
1 hour 20

Totals
Hacking
173.5 miles
52 hours 55

Schooling
9 hours 45

Last edited:
I'm spraying the perimeter with round up to not have to move the pots to mow so it stays neater;).

I've always wanted some "REAL" flowers in pots.
The old town had so many water bans you could plant things but then not be able to water them:(:(:(:mad::mad:.

They kept building building building never planning for increased water useage. Big Mc Mansion houses fancy
built in watering systems and they could not water their lawns.

I have a lovely true artesian well here!!!:D

Reactions: MrA and GaryB
An exciting long weekend for me

AWESOME!!!!:):):D:D;););).
Yes a :):)lovely exciting weekend.:):):)

That looks like a wonderful place to go!! An hour away is not that bad!!
The price is also great!!
There was an eventing place not too far from the old house that you could pay to ride but it was Quite expensive many years ago > I cant remember the exact amount now.
But it was much more expensive than you paid.
I had taken Andi years ago the trainer working with her took us and a Canadian horse she was training to sell.
It was a bummer I had paid big money to ride the property - not jump just ride it. The Canadian was very uncooperative with the girl she had riding him:(:(:(:mad::mad::mad::mad:.
So we never left the rings:(:(:(:mad::mad::mad:.
That was a big time disappointment!!!..

Sonny and Andi ended up going there last spring when Jeff was working with her - we did a Hunter pace there.
So fast fwd 10 years later and I finally got to ride the place!!;)

Reactions: MrA and GaryB
Rode tonight despite dreading it. He rein snatched but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the other day and actually, I quite enjoyed the ride. Yes he snatched and I had to tell him a couple of times but all in all it was a productive session. I only dod 10 minutes because I am of the opinion that 10 good minute is much better than doing 10 good and 5 bad and ending it on a bad note. I'd much prefer to end it on a good note which we did tonight. He's being schooled by my instructor tomorrow and I plan to put him in his equiami on Thursday and do some more groundwork on Friday.

Rode Toffee tonight and he was horrendous. It's so tough at the minute with him and we haven't hacked for ages. It's really taking it's toll but tomorrow is another day. :)

Just a thought but has he been going through this stage from he has had to wear a muzzle?? It could be frustration, how much turnout is he getting...I know you spoil him rotten and love him to death but I am just thinking that I remember seeing the pics of him wearing the muzzle and then all of a sudden he starts playing up again??

Reactions: Native Lover
Just a thought but has he been going through this stage from he has had to wear a muzzle?? It could be frustration, how much turnout is he getting...I know you spoil him rotten and love him to death but I am just thinking that I remember seeing the pics of him wearing the muzzle and then all of a sudden he starts playing up again??

He wore the muzzle all last year and all the year before. The first year, he wore it from July to October and it ripped his face to bits (as I was still in the stages of trying to make it work for him where it didn't rub) but he didn't act up like this BUT he wasn't in as much work. The year after (2016), he wore it from May right through to the end of July - ish time and he very occasionally snatched whilst out hacking but one mildly and never ever in the school or jumping paddock and never ever while being lunged or anything. This year it started in the second week of May-ish and has progressively got worse and worse. It's not getting worse now but it's not getting much better. It's not his muzzle, I'm 99.9% sure of that otherwise he'd have done it the whole time and he hasn't.

He doesn't ever do it when I'm doing Parelli/Natural Horsemanship with him, he's good as gold if a little sticky footed when I'm doing back up and stuff but that's fine. He never does it leading to the field or coming in. He doesn't do it when he's being washed, groomed (even when I brush his face and such) or messed with. It's only when he is asked to work.

So I tack him up or put his Equiami on and he's fine. I lead him to the school/round pen and he's fine for a minute and then he starts to do the tiniest of snatches which I ignore. When I get into the arena/pen and stand sorting out bits and bobs i.e stirrups, girth or the ropes on the equiami, he stands like a lamb and doesn't object, no snatching at all. He stands by the block like a lamb and when I mount he stands perfectly still until I ask him to move forward. I can hop on and off as many times as I like and he will always politely stand still until I'm ready to go. When I walk off, he's fine for the first minuted but then as soon as ask him to walk more forward or do anything requiring him to use himself properly, he starts to snatch and it gets worse and worse and worse until he is snatching and stamping his feet, overbending himself behind the bit, chomping etc.

He also does this grunt/snort - I call it his dominance sound as it's exactly the same sound he does when he tells off the other horses in the field, I've watched him a million times. He also does it when he's trying to stamp his authority with me in the stable, particularly at feeding time (but it gets him nowhere because I get in his face and move his feet and he knows better than to argue with me as it's not worth the hassle for him) because he is, and always has been a very, very dominant pony. This is why I think it could be behavioural because his snatching and grunt mimics the dominant head shake and grunt he does at horses and occasionally at me.

I have ridden him with a contact, with no contact and as a last resort, on the buckle and it makes no difference. I have checked and rechecked his bridle fit and got several opinions off m instructor and saddle fitter and others and it's not too tight and fits him well. He is healthy and not overweight, has excellent feet according to the farrier, he has never been lame in the 3 years I have owned him, he's never lost a shoe, he's never had any serious back issues, just a bit of soreness in his neck once and a bit in his back earlier this year which I had sorted out. Physio gave him a thumbs up, saddle fitter did his saddle two weeks ago, teeth are up to date, everything is how it should be, I meticulously take care in his routine and suchlike, I spend way longer at the yard than others because I go to such lengths to make sure all is how it should be before I leave. I do not have a clue what else I can do.

I'm about to buy him a nose net to fit his grackle bridle off ebay as there is a girl who makes them and I'm going to try ride him in a fly mask as an experiment to see if that helps. I've also booked in a huge session of lessons and if that doesn't work and I reach the end of the block, I'm going to call the vet out to get him checked and if all is clear, considering putting him on a temporary calmer to see if that helps.

Also what makes me think it's behaviour is:

a.) It only started in May and at the same time that he started galloping flat out across the paddock when I turned him out - spring grass?
b.) It's worse with other horses about - like it's made worse when stuff is going on
c. ) He has ok days where it's not so much and really bad days where it's terrible
d. ) His eyes aren't weepy, he's not snorting or sneezing
e. ) He's happy to go for a walk in hand in the school/up the lane etc as long as it's not work

My head is battered with all this lol

@SeeingSpots The only reason I mentioned the muzzle is I tried one on my boy once as he can put the weight on over the summer quite quickly but he had a complete personality change, he was grumpy and downright miserable, so I have never put one on him since lol just keep him on a track and bring him in during the day for a lot of hours of the grass. He is a happy bunny..

If it is only when you are riding him, and he is snatching the reins I would be getting his mouth looked at but you probably have already done that..I know he can be opinionated as I have one of those too and it is hard to know if its just them being dominant or if they are trying to tell us something is wrong.. Marley can lean on the reins and i either completely let go so he has nothing to lean on or I give a sharp half halt, all depends what i am doing at the time..I know its not the same as snatching the reins. You have good help though at your yard and I am sure you will get it sorted out.:)

Reactions: SeeingSpots
The only reason I mentioned the muzzle is I tried one on my boy once as he can put the weight on over the summer quite quickly but he had a complete personality change, he was grumpy and downright miserable, so I have never put one on him since lol just keep him on a track and bring him in during the day for a lot of hours of the grass. He is a happy bunny..

I've started introducing the grass without his muzzle so he won't be in it for much longer. He'll be out of it by July latest. It's a colic preventative mostly. :)

If it is only when you are riding him, and he is snatching the reins

It's also when I am lunging him. I'm inclined to think it's a dominance thing because I did some Parelli with him today and he did a few small snatches/head jerks. He only had a rope halter on and he's never done it when we do Parelli but today he did it and then followed up with a grunt, a head toss and tried tp take off at the end of the line. He tried it twice and then decided that the repercussions were not worth his time and behaved for me. So much so that we did this.......

Screen Shot 2017-06-03 at 18.26.49.png

I got on him, walked him up and back down and then had him stand there and do nothing while I chatted to a friend. He was really good.

newrider.com