2017 Hacking/ Riding Challenge.... Add your photos too

Saturday was a nice days so Harvey and I went off for a canter or two on the bridleways. We saw some lambs along the way which he decided were very dangerous and we must go straight away. Sunday dawned very wet. I had a trip to the tack shop to get him some grass nuts as he's a bit down on energy and also some travelling boots (more on this soon if it comes to fruition). They had black, pink with blue edging, or blue with pink edging. Black was £47.50, and the other colours £35, so poor Harvey has blue boots with pink edging :(

We have gone from 3 liveries on the yard to 10 so I had to share the school in the afternoon. We did a bit of flatwork including some trotting poles, and then at the end when there was only us I popped a couple of jumps as Harvey wanted to play.

Scarey lambs. Not a very good pic as Harvey wanted to go
i-d8wTX9J-XL.jpg

This is the top of the canter looking back (the track on the right by the hedge)
i-WVLTszt-XL.jpg

and finally a quick jumping video
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-q27VS4c/0/1280/i-q27VS4c-1280.mp4

Hacking
7 miles
2 hours

Schooling
30 minutes

Totals
Hacking
66.9 miles
21 hours

Schooling
2 hours 40

Wow! Your hacking looks amazing! The sheep made me giggle, Toffee is ok with sheep as long as they don't try and make conversation with him or jump out at him, he really doesn't like that much.
Its not as good as it looks :( Its about 3 miles down the lanes to get here, then its about 3/4 mile of bridleway and 3 miles of lanes back. Its not bad by any means, but I'd love to ride for 7 miles off road!

Gosh it seems like forever since I've done anything.

Between the bizzard and getting a big nasty case of the flu....

I was sick thru all the nice warm weather that melted the snow :mad::(
and the last few days were horribly cold with wind chills way below zero F

I got out and finally christened one of the round pens today:);):D
Since the temps were in single dig digits and not even hitting freezing the last few days the ground was hard so I took it easy..
When we put them up at the beginning of winter we got snow a couple days later and then mostly crummy weather more snow etc etc so I never got into them.

AHHHH it was really nice today only 26f but it felt good in the sun.
The round pens are much bigger than the one we have to bring over form the old house so Sonny had a lot of room to kind of ignore my verbal commands a little bit but I have not freelonged him in quite a while so I'm not unhappy.
we did ok.

I let him have a little while of some of the grass in there to start to acclimate him again.

I really want to try to get back in the swing of things again walking riding and
freelonging!!!
and woo hoo the time changes THIS WEEKEND;):):D
IMG_6263.JPG

IMG_6270.JPG

IMG_6266.JPG

Totals
Sonny unmounted 18.50 hrs
Mounted. 3.75 hrs

Andi unmounted .25 hrs

There might be a bit of snow 2 times this week but hopefully not a lot!!!
I am really wanting spring to stick!!!;)

I have totally lost track! Sorry guys!!

however today, I rode Brook out and it feels great not to have that ‘itch’ about wanting to go further afield. I have Skye for that. Brook and I did our usual 40 min ride from home this morning and she felt so good. I LOVE how she feels. Skye is a complete saint and established but Brook, although green, feels so supple and responsive, so forward going. Her paces feel so nice :) She is so good but she did have an ‘arrgh’ moment because we came round a corner to find 3 guys cutting down branches and her default is to try and run, Ive popped a flash on though and that seems to help me grab her back again. Im hoping Ive found a 2nd hand thorowgood cob saddle to try on Skye and i have a couple of novice friends very keen to come and ride :)

THANKS between the bug and the snow its really been the pitts!!!

I got out in the rd pen again this am in between the rain.
It was a bit warmer over nite so the footing was better.
Sonny was really full of himself.

I had to end up rushing back when it started to rain again.
I don't want to risk this bug getting worse again.

I want to get back to riding soon.

Totals
Sonny unmounted 19.00hrs
Mounted. 3.75 hrs

Andi unmounted .25 hrs

Reactions: GaryB and MrA
@SeeingSpots I enjoyed your video, you have nothing to worry about with talking to Toffee as I think I still natter the most lol You had the sun out today, lucky you. Did you call one of the horses colin?? :D

Yes it was beautiful here today and 11 degrees! it's meant to be warmer tomorrow and 7 over night so he's in a considerably lighter rug tonight, it's lovely!

No, there was Savvy (Savannah) at the first gate - that is Toffee's field. He doesn't like other horses as a general rule but for some reason, she seems to quite like him and sometimes waits at the gate for him to come out. Even though when he gets in, he warns her away lol

Then in the second field you had DJ (chestnut) and Tello (bay) and then in the last field there was Fitz (chestnut), Lily (Bay), Rupert (Palomino pony) and Jimi (black and white cob pony) but you won't have seen them in the last field I doubt as they were quite far away.

There are usually a lot more out )we have 24 on the yard) but we have 7 private paddocks which are all taken and the rest of the horses were in. Most were in because the hunt was going through the fields neighbouring our yard. I personally prefer Toffee out because I'd rather him tear around the paddock than work himself up in his stable.

I haven't written for a while! Eek! Last time was the SHer! So the following monday was a day off for both, and Tuesdayended up eboing one too as I had something on.
Then Wednesday we had a dressage lesson and it POURED down but he actually did some really nice work! He avoided some puddles but was lifting his tum and feet haha! Thursday I had a jump lesson and he was super dooper again. Not a single stop and there was a couple where he got real deep but totally my fault as he felt so relaxed and chill going into the big oens I thought he wasn't going to jmup so kicked him into it and he had to add a stride in! But my coach mde me ride again properly so we finished on a really nice footperfect round. We did some no stirrup work at the end as well as I want to improve my position..we did about 10mins of walk and trot and geez I really do need to do more of that as I was a bit useless and weak!
Friday 3rd I had a quick ride at home on Aus to get him ready for the show Saturday. However I kept having hot cold flashes and felt quite ill. My boss came back from overseas with a bad cold and I initially blamed her but now reading this it might have been riding in the rain that made me sick!! Anyway since Friday I have been quite badly ill with the flu/cold!! Saturday had two dressage tests, I didn't do super as I was weak and felt ill, but we managed an 8th and a 10th (65% and 63%) which aren't amazing results but the winner was on 70% in both so I guess not too far off. But Aus was definitely a lot better than he used to be, much more consistent and regular and just needs a bit more transition work as we fell in a bit but I think my fault for being sick!
Sunday was my hubby and my anniversary (woo one year!) so we spent the day together and was horse-free (aside from feeding them!) then Monday I took Mads to the forest for a nice hack. She really enjoyed herself and got a good swagger on! I had my ipod and got busted by a jogger for singing whoops! Yesterday I was really sick again so stayed home from work, back at work today but still not feeling 100%!

Running total:
Aus: 233hrs
Mads: 8.5hrs

Yay my turn for some sunshine today :D It was a lovely sunny day although a bit on the breezy side but I can live with that as long as the grey skies are away :) Took Marley out for a hack to the race course and back, then we rode in the field for a wee while. Wee Rummy got a break from wearing his rug, I think he enjoyed getting the sun on his back ;)

Total Ridden 20 hrs 30 mins

Hoping to get out and play today before another 6 inches of SNOW:mad::mad::mad::(:(:(:( TOMORROW!!!

Late yesterday I got some of the Pvc pipes on one of the round pens for my
banner flags etc!!
I need to go buy some more pipe but its a start!!!;)

I miss having my banner flags etc on my rd pen.
I need to dig out my St Pat day and Easter/spring banner flags and my gigantic rabbits.

I had gotten a bunch of irish flags for St pat day at the Christmas tree shop and they
look ok but I'm looking fwd to setting it up with the other items too!!!

Ugh today will be gusts to almost 50mph so I will see how they faire out there:eek:

I went with 12 inch pcs of pvc pipe but I may have to end up making the others
longer if they blow out.
There is no point to playing much with the pinwheels unless I put them out to play and then take them down:(..
Its just too windy here for them:mad::(.

I guess it will be a trial and error to see what things can stay out.
IMG_6366.JPG

IMG_6365.JPG

IMG_6356.JPG

The much taller skinnier banner flags may end up needing
longer pcs of pvc pipe.

Time will tell................

Please send vibes maybe the snow total goes DOWN!!! I REALLY WANT SPRING TO STICK.

newrider.com