1/2 Arab- 1/2 Haflinger?

USpony

Jan 7, 2015
Just curious if anyone has seen any or had experience with them. I think a pony or small horse of this cross would be perfect for what I want to do. I may look into it when I'm ready to get Rusty a friend. My 2 past horses were 1/2 Arabs- 1/2 Tennessee Walking Horses.

The Haflinger is the result of a cross between an Arab and a native draught horse from Austria. Yes I have seen several Haflinger and Arab Crosses and they have been dreadful. I have never seen one that I would give a second look at.

Other Arab crosses have good results, the Arab Haflinger cross is not a route I'd go down

I've never seen one, and I find it hard to imagine what that cross would be like - Haffies are so chunky and Arabs are so fine .... Maybe if you could describe the horse you're hoping to get, you'd find that there is a breed that suits you.

@Wally, I'm so glad I asked because in my mind it seemed like a great idea:eek:.

@LindaAd, I'm not in the market yet, just curious really. Is that a Haffie in your signature? I love everything I have read about them and their tempermants. I would be looking for a large pony/ small horse that could do extensive trail riding, competitive trail, and limited distance endurance (up to 50 miles). I love to cover distances when I ride. I know Arabs are best for endurance, but a pure bred may be a little hot for me. I also just love ponies and their characters, but they are more on the cold blooded side and seem like they may not handle the heat so well.

Maybe a Welsh pony/ Arab cross (I have heard of some really nice ones) or even a straight up welsh pony would give me what I am looking for. I'm tossing ideas around right now so when the time comes I am ready to make a decision because I have been working it out for so long. I hope it doesn't drive anyone crazy.

The thing with Arabs is not just that they're physically good at endurance themselves, but they're also easy for the rider because they are generally very comfortable rides. My friend used to have a little Welsh B that she did endurance pleasure rides on with me and she used to get off with aching knees because the pony was like a little sewing machine, whereas my Arab has built in shock absorbers :) . Of course this will vary from horse to horse, but if you're looking for an endurance/long distance prospect, rider comfort is certainly something to bear in mind when you trial your potential new purchase!

Just thought I'd throw something extra into the mix!

Reactions: Megan Quartley
@Wally, I'm so glad I asked because in my mind it seemed like a great idea:eek:.

@LindaAd, I'm not in the market yet, just curious really. Is that a Haffie in your signature? I love everything I have read about them and their tempermants. I would be looking for a large pony/ small horse that could do extensive trail riding, competitive trail, and limited distance endurance (up to 50 miles). I love to cover distances when I ride. I know Arabs are best for endurance, but a pure bred may be a little hot for me. I also just love ponies and their characters, but they are more on the cold blooded side and seem like they may not handle the heat so well.

Maybe a Welsh pony/ Arab cross (I have heard of some really nice ones) or even a straight up welsh pony would give me what I am looking for. I'm tossing ideas around right now so when the time comes I am ready to make a decision because I have been working it out for so long. I hope it doesn't drive anyone crazy.
We used to do 100 mile rides on Haflingers and one little fallow in particular won best condition after the 100 mile Solstice ride on more than one occasion, often beating Arabs.

Welsh Arab crosses I have seen have been very respectable, Morgan X Arab has been nice too. BUt a pure Arab handled with care can be the most laid back, gentle kind responsible horse on the planet.
The thing with Arabs is not just that they're physically good at endurance themselves, but they're also easy for the rider because they are generally very comfortable rides. My friend used to have a little Welsh B that she did endurance pleasure rides on with me and she used to get off with aching knees because the pony was like a little sewing machine, whereas my Arab has built in shock absorbers :) . Of course this will vary from horse to horse, but if you're looking for an endurance/long distance prospect, rider comfort is certainly something to bear in mind when you trial your potential new purchase!

Just thought I'd throw something extra into the mix!
LOL, I used to also ride and Arab X Saddle bred who was like a hover craft, Friend used to have great sucess with her fat cob, who really was better suited to driving , under saddle he would rattle your teeth out, I would finish a 50 mile ride and be fine, she would have been rattled half to death.
It's the Arab slow twitch muscle fibres coupled with springy conformation that makes them good at endurance. Icelandics are good for long distance , especially if you have a natrual tolter.

Reactions: Bodshi
I have an Arab x appy, I've been told he's well put together. And, like Bodshi's, he's very comfy. Very active walk which I've been told can give your abs a fair work out (I don't feel it myself), and he can go for miles without tiring although I've never actually tried endurance with him. One day.....

Check them out, I think they are more popular across the pond, but after stumbling across my lad I would seriously consider searching out another should I ever get another horse. Although hopefully I'd get a spotty one next time!

I appreciate your thorough responses. You have given much for food for thought. And since obsessing over horses is just about my favorite thing to do:)....

@Bodshi, I see what you mean. Even my half Arabs would seem like they floated over the ground when they trotted and it was comfortable to ride.

@Wally, I'm guessing those endurance Haflingers must have been of the lighter variety rather than drafty (I do hope that is not too stupid of a question)? If I won Best Conditioned on an endurance ride I would feel like my horse won the top prize available.

@Laura_107, an Arab x appy cross sounds interesting. I love a horse who has a ground covering walk and feels like he is really going somewhere. Is there somewhere I can go to see pictures of your guy?

I think I have been trying to veer away from Arabians because I lost my confidence somewhere along the way. They can be in a class of their own when it comes to energy level and sensitivity. Believe it or not, my lesson horse from the time I was about 10 years old was a white Arabian stallion. He was older when I began riding him (about 20), but he definitely remained a stallion throughout his life. He sired the two Arab x Walking horses I had. He was very special and magnificent. I have known a total of three Arabian stallions who were used as older children's lesson horses (not beginning riders of course). Two of them were used in mixed group lessons with mares and geldings, without problems.

After reading your posts I realized, thanks to my challenging little pony Rusty, I have much of my old confidence back. From riding him bareback I feel my balance is solid again. It is as if I had to re-find my seat and Rusty let me do that. I also realized I am riding and working with my equine on a more consistent basis than ever have before in my life (partly thanks to this site). I think I am getting ready to come home to Arabians, but will certainly consider Arab crosses on a case by case basis. I am almost in tears right now.

Just in case anyone is wondering. You may have noticed I have been caring for my pony on a shoestring budget. I took Rusty on as an emergency measure to keep him from being destroyed, since I already knew him and loved him from his previous home. It has been a valuable experience and we have learned so much together. It has forced me to stretch myself and push myself to figure things out many times. I wouldn't do it again because its a bad feeling trying to figure out what I would to do if he were to get hurt or something else expensive came up that I couldn't handle myself. So far we have been very lucky and I am thankful for that.

I won't get an additional horse until I can afford to have an emergency fund set up just for the horses. That is in the near future because nurses over here are getting good paying jobs within hours of applying for them. Of course Rusty will stay with me when I get another horse. He deserves it.

Reactions: Jessey
Sorry I'm no help at all, just trying to imagine my haflinger crossed with an Arab!

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Lol, I respect what has been said about them here. Apparently its not the great idea in reality that it was in my mindo_O.

@USpony This was back in the late 70s and in the 80's before the breed was ruined by trying to make it into a sports horse, They were the old fashioned short coupled style of Haflinger
This was father and son on a 50 mile ride.

and in harness, not the long legged modern Haflinger at all

Reactions: Gimp
One of the best crosses I ever saw was Haflinger X Suffolk Punch, now that was a heavyweight fellow

Reactions: Kite_Rider
@Wally, wow! I am so surprised. When you said they were used for endurance I thought they had to be the lighter leggier type. We have Haffie's similar to those being bred in my area. I think one reason is because the largish Amish population still values them for their usability and versatility. Thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures!

[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's a Haffie. I don't know much about endurance, but Haffies are pretty tough and adaptable. I see Wally's given you an answer. I think strictly speaking Haffies are horses, not ponies, like Icelandics, although I think they're more cob-sized than either horse or pony.

@LindaAd, thanx for reminding me. I forgot not to call them ponies (not that it is an insult coming from me, I think ponies are fab). I have yet to meet a Haflinger horse in real life. From what I have read they generally have a good attitude toward work but can be cheeky and full of character.

Would you say that is accurate?

@LindaAd, thanx for reminding me. I forgot not to call them ponies (not that it is an insult coming from me, I think ponies are fab). I have yet to meet a Haflinger horse in real life. From what I have read they generally have a good attitude toward work but can be cheeky and full of character.

Would you say that is accurate?

Sorry if I seemed to be correcting you, US pony - it was just a random comment, not aimed at you (you actually included both possibilities in what you said :) ). It's difficult to generalise about Haffy character - I use a Haffy forum, and I see a lot of people whose Haffies are quite challenging, but they like them that way, and others where they are calm and brilliant and do whatever you ask. I bought mine when she was five, and much greener than I thought; I also thought I could ride - she taught me different. Looking back, I'd say she was a young pony whose rider didn't know how to give her confidence, so she felt she had to take over for her own safety, and if that meant ditching her rider, well too bad. But she can be wonderfully patient and will stand like a rock while you climb on and off or fiddle with your tack. All that's probably not very helpful - let's just say they're all different, but they're all strong-minded ;)

Im not sure whether Rosie would be classed as a fine or stocky Haflinger, somewhere middling I expect but we dabbled with some low level endurance for a couple years and we both enjoyed it. We did most of it barefoot or booted fronts but the most we ever rode was 38km. We never went fast, often only just coming in within time, but I dont like to canter. Never had any issues with condition though, she fittened up pretty easily. She has a 'work mode trot' that we just slipped into, disengaged brains and watched the miles wander by. I was frightened of riding her for a long time and it took me a long time to recover my confidence. The first few rides I could have cheerfully thrown up just turning up but it transformed our relationship - she knew she had to rely on me as it was unfamiliar ground and I had to relax and trust her to get me through. We've never looked back - somewhere in the midst of training we became buddies (Ok I fell in love <3). Id recommend doing some organised and/or longer rides to everyone.

Reactions: Bodshi
pony whose rider didn't know how to give her confidence, so she felt she had to take over for her own safety, and if that meant ditching her rider, well too bad. But she can be wonderfully patient and will stand like a rock while you climb on and off or fiddle with your tack. All that's probably not very helpful - let's just say they're all different, but they're all strong-minded ;)
Ha ha this one, word for word :D
I do bonkers stuff to get on and off, mess around on her back, change clothes, wave flags etc etc etc but woe betide me if I start stressing about the lorry coming up behind :p

I am going to be rude about the US now, They have ruined so many breeds, the American Shetland has no business using the name Shetland, and so many other breeds have been corrupted by the USA, But I take my hat off to the USA where the haflinger is concerned, I have seen more "true to type" haflingers in hte USA than in Europe.

newrider.com